|Programs - Programs|
Upcoming Sunday Programs
• Benjamin Goluboff, professor of English at Lake Forest College, speaks Sunday, April 13th, on “American Environmental Writing: A Literary Tradition.” Goluboff will discuss how modern writers on the outdoors such as Aldo Leopold, Wallace Stegner, and Annie Dillard have found meaning in the writings of their 19th Century predecessors Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau.
• Our Annual Spring Festival is on Sunday, April 20th, at 10:30 a.m. Led by Tom Hoeppner and Sharon Appelquist, we'll celebrate Earth Day and the seasonal renewal of life. Our Sunday School children will display their musical talents and present a short play, and give us colorful spring flowers in hand-painted pots for planting in our home gardens.
• John Edel, founder and Executive Director of The Plant, an organization devoted to urban farming, speaks Sunday, April 27th, on “Future Farming in Our Cities.” Edel will describe how he is using biomimicry and aquaponics in an old industrial building in Chicago to create a vertical farm. He will discuss how he is creating jobs, fostering local food businesses, and reusing the wastes of neighboring industries to generate power.
• Joni King, a Chicago Fire Department EMT/Paramedic for 13 years, speaks May 4th on "My Job as a Paramedic."
• Karen Alter, professor of political science and law at Northwestern University and a permanent visiting professor at the iCourts Center of Excellence, University of Copenhagen School of Law, speaks Sunday, May 11th, on “The New Terrain of International Law: Courts, Politics and Rights.”