|Programs - Programs|
Upcoming Sunday Programs
• Kenan Heise, retired reporter for the Chicago Tribune and author of The Book of the Poor, speaks May 12th on “A Unique Mothers Day Look at Women in Poverty.” From his many years of listening to the voices of the poor, Heise will share some of the experiences, sentiments, and hopes of the hundreds of poor and destitute women he has interviewed.
• Our annual Membership Recognition program is on Sunday, May 19th. We’ll salute our hard-working staff and many volunteers, honor our Sunday School children, parents, and teachers, and welcome our new members. It will be a time to celebrate our growing Ethical community.
•Note: There is no regular Sunday morning program at the Greiner Center on May 26th, when we’ll be at our Memorial Day weekend retreat at the George Williams center on Geneva Lake.
• Note: There is no regular Sunday morning program at the Greiner Center on June 2nd, when we’ll hold our annual Members' Meeting.
• David Wokosin, chair of our Environmental Footprint Committee and professor of physiology at Northwestern University, opens our summer season of member-led programs on Sunday, June 9th. Speaking on “Will We Avoid the Energy Trap?”, David will outline a crisis stemming from our continued heavy reliance on declining net-energy fossil fuels to meet growing global energy demands. He will review renewable energy options with a focus on the critical problem of the up-front energy required for building a completely new energy infrastructure.
• Anil Kashyap, a co-chair of our Sunday Program Committee and Professor of Economics and Finance at the University of Chicago, speaks Sunday, June 16th, on “The Views of Leading Economists on Public Policy.” Anil will analyze the responses to a unique poll of economists from the leading U.S. economics departments about major public policy questions. He will describe the nature of the poll, the areas of agreement and disagreement among the economists, and compare their opinions with those of the general public.